During home visits our allied health professionals assess workstation set ups and recommend changes or adjustments in line with ergonomic principles. Our services range from simple ergonomic assessments to more comprehensive consultations for those experiencing pain or symptoms. Altius Group also offers treatment plans for physical concerns relating to home office ergonomics.
What May the Home Office Ergonomic Assessment Include?
- An assessment of individual task requirements, worker capacity and abilities and the overall organisation of the work they perform, including observation and discussions with the employee.
- An assessment of home office equipment design, how it matches work requirements and whether it is set up to help an employee work healthily and efficiently.
- An objective evaluation of hazards and risks within the home office, such as noise, poor visibility and environmental conditions.
- A closer look at tasks with high repetition or work done over an extended duration.
- Identifying and correcting poor postures, though education. Our team assesses overhead stretching/stooping/reaching, kneeling, crouching and asymmetrical activities.
- A discussion of mental demands, such as new technology and work responsibilities.
- Recommendations for change and ongoing support to ensure ergonomic adjustments are adopted for the longer term.
- More comprehensive assessments may be recommended to those experiencing pain or symptoms, or those likely to experience issues in future.
- Altius Group also offers treatment plans for physical concerns relating to home office ergonomics.
Benefits of Home Office Ergonomic Assessments
- Promote employee wellbeing and efficiency.
- Decrease the risk of injuries common to office workers, reducing claims.
- Boost productivity and morale by supporting those working from home to achieve greater output with less effort.
- Limit issues arising from poor ergonomics such as headache and fatigue, concentration difficulties, negative postural changes and poor tolerance to workload.
- Empower employees to adopt an ergonomic ethos for the longer term.
Different Types of Home Office Ergonomic Assessments
Worker’s Compensation Workplace Assessment (Ergonomic): for WorkCover claims where a workplace assessment has been requested and the duties are office-based. Altius Group provides full Ergonomic Assessment Reports and can assist with equipment requirements.
Non-Worker’s Compensation Ergonomic Assessments: requested by the employer, often when a worker has indicated a problem or injury that has not progressed to a worker’s compensation claim.
A Mini Ergonomic Checklist Assessment: often conducted for several workers at once for cost efficiency, perhaps as part of a new worker induction, following an office refurbishment or as a foundation for WHS strategies.
Home Office Ergonomic Assessments = Prevention Through Education
Home Office Ergonomic Assessments educate employees on:
- Safe work postures, correct working angles of the upper limbs, sitting positions, viewing angles and optimal workstation layout.
- How to make basic adjustments to workstations to promote neutral postures and ensure regular posture variation.
- Strategies to balance the physical and mental demands of tasks and about the importance of stretch breaks.